- Published: September 24, 2019
Opening event of the EU Twinning Project ”Building of the Institutional Capacity of the Investigative Centre“
On 13 of September 2019 - after a four-month project implementation - the kick-off event for the EU twinning project "Building of the Institutional Capacity of the Investigative Centre " (see project description) took place in Skopje, North Macedonia.
The event was opened by the following high-ranking officials of the Republic of North Macedonia:
- Ljubomir Joveski (Chief Prosecutor of the Republic of North Macedonia),
- Renata Deskoska (Minister of Justice) and
- Oliver Spasovski (Minister of Interior),
who underlined the importance of the project for their country’s further progress towards implementing the rule of law and thus strengthening the justice system in general and public confidence in the judiciary in particular in their keynote speeches.
Further speakers were
- Samuel Žbogar (EU Ambassador in Skopje),
- Dr. Stefan von der Beck (State Secretary, Ministry of Justice, Lower Saxony, Germany),
- Otto Graf (German Deputy Ambassador in Skopje) and
- Ivan Crnčec (Assistant Minister, Ministry of Justice of Republic of Croatia and also Junior Project Leader of the Twinning project),
who underlined the importance of the ongoing twinning project which will run until May 2021.
The analysis of the current situation with regard to the investigation centres in North Macedonia has already started within the framework of the Twinning project and will be continued in the coming months in accordance with the work plan prepared by the twinning partners.
In the second part of the kick-off event, the two project leaders Gordana Smakjoska (Public Prosecutor, Basic Public Prosecutor's Office for combating Organised Crime and Corruption, Skopje) and Dr. Stefan Trunk (Senior Public Prosecutor, Head of the Departments for Economic Crime and Legal Assistance, Duisburg) presented the first outcomes and details of the project components.