Morocco: Assistance technique auprès de la Délégation Générale à l'Administration Pénitentiaire et à la Réinsertion pour appuyer la mise en œuvre des Politiques de réinsertion sociale des détenus et de prévention de la récidive*
- Published: July 31, 2019
EU Technical Assistance
Team Leader: Pedro-Yves Diaz-Barrionuevo
Responsible at the IRZ: Teresa Thalhammer, Nadine Peetz
Since the end of 2018, the IRZ, in partnership with the leading partner DMI Associates from France, has been implementing this project for further reforms of the prison system in Morocco, together with B&S Europe from Belgium and another French partner, GEPSA. The total budget is EUR 3 million, and the project is running for 34 months.
Over the past years, Morocco has initiated far-reaching political and institutional reforms, which the EU project is now continuing. The main target of the Moroccan prison reform is enhancing the rule of law by modernising the prison system, in particular by respecting human rights standards with regard to detention conditions. The EU supports Morocco by financing this project, which provides for various measures to be carried out for the reintegration of released prisoners into civil society. It is also intended to prevent recidivism of former offenders.
The project is aimed at the following targets, subdivided into five components:
- Enhancing communication between doctors, police, prison staff and prisoners
- raising the prison staff’s awareness during the admission, diagnostic assessment and care for prisoners
- improving the individual supervision of prisoners
- Initiating programmes to provide support in the social reintegration of prisoners
- accompanying training of prison officers
- Developing the cooperation between universities and law enforcement agencies;
- promoting research in law enforcement.
- Setting up a network to provide support in the reintegration of prisoners;
- involving different players from civil society;
- coordinating different measures through the network.
- Ensuring communication and raising awareness for the prison reform regarding measures for social reintegration and for the prevention of recidivism.
The main beneficiary of the project is the Moroccan General Delegation for Prison Administration and Reintegration (Délégation Génerale de l’Administration Pénitentaire - DGAPR), which is in charge of enforcing criminal law sanctions and running penal institutions.
The project team consists of the team leader, two long-term experts and many international and national short-term experts. It closely cooperates with other projects in Morocco, especially with IRZ projects within the framework of their bilateral work, thus creating synergies and preventing overlaps.
* Project for improving the administration in Moroccan prisons and for reintegrating released prisoners