- Published: March 20, 2019
The documentation for the first interdisciplinary South-East Europe symposium organised jointly by the IRZ and the South-East Europe association (SOG), which was held in Berlin in November 2017 with the title “Legal transformation in South-East Europe using former Yugoslavia as an example: prerequisites, parties involved, failures and successes – a preliminary review”, appeared in the March edition of the Südosteuropa Mitteilungen, published by the SOG.
The publication includes a written transcript of the lectures, as well as a summary of the panel discussions, which were moderated by Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Heribert Küpper, Managing Director of the Munich Institute for Eastern European Law, based in the Research Centre in Regensburg, and one of the Vice-Presidents of the SOG.
The documentation includes the following articles:
- Dr. Stefan Pürner: The framework conditions for transformation – initial situation, parties involved and external influencing factors;
- Doz. Dr. Aleksandar Lj. Spasov: Dealing with the past as a prerequisite for transformation – the case of Macedonia;
- Prof. Dr. Zlatan Meškić: Legal transformation in Bosnia and Herzegovina – constitutional perspectives;
- Prof. Dr. Miloš Živković: Legal transformation in Serbia;
- Norbert Koster: The framework conditions for transformation – initial situation, parties involved and external influencing factors, taking criminal procedural law as an example
The concept for the event involves contrasting the observations and opinions of law professionals from the transformation states with those of advisers from other countries. Despite the heterogeneous composition of the speakers, there were considerable parallels to be drawn from their opinions. These related in particular to the importance of the moderate development of the law, using existing continental European principles as a guideline, and the significance of further training measures in supporting legislative activities.
The publication can be downloaded as a PDF from the IRZ website: Legal transformation in South-East Europe using former Yugoslavia as an example: prerequisites, parties involved, failures and successes – a preliminary review.